Ph.D. in Sociology
Caretaker of a Dog Named Kinsey
Web Developer, Business Analyst, Data Scientist
I am a Tech Guy, Digital Marketer, and Data Scientist in Eugene, Oregon.
I earned my Ph.D. in Sociology at the University of Oregon in 2012. My comprehensive exam area was in Quantitative Methodology (Statistics, Survey Research, Data Collection). Sometimes people ask "Oh, you aren't actually using your Ph.D.?" because I am not working in academia. The fact is: Doing web development and business analysis, I use those sociological skills and training all day long, every day. I think one thing that sets me apart from others is that when I do an audit of a Google Ads account, for example, I can just eyeball the numbers, do the math in my head, and see the patterns in the keywords and conversion rates right away. I can then immediately translate that data into actionable (and profitable) business intelligence. So, yes, I use my Ph.D.
I ran my own business from 2004 - 2018 with a variety of business models - grossing over $1 million in revenue in 2008 alone. During that time, I also hosted several popular trivia nights at local bars and pubs. I wrote a few bestselling trivia books under my pen/stage name, Dr. Seven Phoenix. You can check them out on Amazon if you want.
Nowadays, I work for "The Man".... trading in the security and reliability of a steady paycheck over the feast and famine (and stress) of running my own company.
Business and Data Analysis
SEO and SEM Expert
20+ Years of Experience - Ph.D., 2012
Doctor of Philosophy, SociologyUniversity of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon
- 2012: Dissertation: Same-Sex Sexual Behavior in America: An Age, Period, Cohort Study. Committee: Michael Dreiling (chair), Robert O’Brien, Francis White, Eileen Otis
- 2008: Comprehensive Exam: Quantitative Methods Committee: Robert O’Brien (chair), Richard York, and Aaron Gullickson
Master of Science, SociologyUniversity of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon
- Master’s Paper: Predictors of Male and Female Same-Sex Sexual Contact. Advisor: Michael Dreiling
Graduate Course Work, Survey MethodologyUniversity of Maryland, College Park, MD
- Joint Program in Survey Methodology
Bachelor of Arts, SociologyMillersville University, Millersville, PA
- Minor: Economics
December 2018 - Current
Business Analyst/Digital Marketing LeadConfidential - Employer and Current Reference Available Upon Request
- Managed all aspects of integrated Google, YouTube, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram digital marketing campaigns with monthly budgets of over $30,000 including keyword research, copy writing, optimizing bids, managing budgets, adjusting ad targeting, performance tracking, reporting
- Created ads and tracking in the Google Ecosystem, integrating complex event and conversion tracking in Google Tag Manager and Facebook Pixel with Google Analytics event goals.
- Connected CRM’s like Salesforce and Marketo with lead generation pages and web analytics including CallRail phone tracking, Zapier integrations, and other marketing automations
- Conduct MailChimp email campaigns with split A/B Testing
- Setup and connect PLA campaigns, Google Merchant Center / Google Shopping Feed, Amazon, and eBay sales channels with Shopify, WooCommerce
- Analyzed organic search traffic in tools such as Moz Pro, SEM Rush, and BrightEdge to make both technical and on page SEO recommendations
- Collaborate with team members to develop visual landing page recommendations to enhance SEO
- Responsible for creating monthly reports and custom client dashboards in Tableau, Google Data Studio and other data visualization tools
- Lead author of proposals that generated over $1,000,000 in new contracts.
- Google Ads Certified
June 2018 - December 2018
Web DesignerConfidential - Employer and Current Reference Available Upon Request
- Designed , developed and maintained client websites (portfolio upon request), WordPress Super-Expert
- Configured and supported hosting on WP Engine, AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Digital Ocean
- Created e-commerce sites, top to bottom, in both Shopify and WooCommerce
- Responsible for DNS configuration, SSL installation, plugin and app updates
- Setup email for clients (including MX and SPF records) in Gmail/Gsuite.
Chief Operating OfficerDigital Research Lab, LLC
Streaming4Charity.Org/Sharing4Charity.org : Project involved accessing data from RESTful API’s (YouTube, Twitch, Reddit) to automatically update sites via cron and automate Twitter posts
Conceived and directed all aspects of Streaming4Charity.org, a single page AJAX application that allows users to donate their own CPU power to find free cryptocurrency for charity
Manage and generate content for web, social media, and related properties including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr using Hootsuite and other tools
Create and manage Facebook advertisements, sponsored tweets, and pay per click campaigns, such as Google Adwords
Analyze site performance of both SEM and SEO efforts by utilizing Google Analytics and other custom tracking
Administration of dedicated server using WHM and CPanel
Developed and marketed the iPhone game, “Trivia With Pals”
CEO/FounderQuizzo Pub Trivia with Dr. Seven Phoenix and QuizzoPubTrivia.com
Dynamic and charismatic public speaker, hosting, writing questions, and running successful and popular trivia nights at local establishments including Starlight Lounge, Cornucopia, Level Up, The Barn Light, Oak Street Speakeasy, and Villard Street Pub
Impeccable customer service and people skills, cultivating a loyal and dedicated fan base and followers
Author of several Amazon bestselling trivia books including American Pub Trivia, American Pub Trivia: Volume II, 627 Challenging Sports Trivia Questions and others
Created E-commerce site QuizzoPubTrivia.com, a B2C/B2B site selling individual and group quizzes to other quizmasters and bars
CEO/FounderOnomatopoeia Holdings, LLC
Generated over $10,000,000 of revenue for clients including Zappos.com, HomeClick.com, 1-800-Contacts.com, BoatersWorld.com, and many more
Responsible for all aspects of business including business development, accounting, cash-flow management, and implementing and allocating approximately $1,000,000 annual advertising budget
Recognized expert in search arbitrage, search engine marketing, and affiliate marketing